Top Baby Monitors | Budget Baby Essentials
A baby monitor is a true essential item for every parent. What other way can you keep an eye on your little one while you are elsewhere in the home or even outside? With the rapid changes in technology, baby monitors are becoming ever cheaper and with increasing features. Definitely a great thing for parents in 2020!
Table of Contents
Tips on Purchasing a Baby Monitor
1. Select a Monitor with Video Function
A video display helps you to monitor your baby while you’re not near your infant. It also allows you to sneak a peek at your little nugget. Essential? Most definitely!
2. Two-way interaction
It is best to get a design that has a talk-back function. I have soothed my baby in the middle of the night many times without even needing to get out of bed myself due to this invaluable feature! Often, your baby simply needs to hear you in order to get back to sleep.
3. Low Battery Alert
A child display with a low battery alert is of utmost value so that the it will never run out of power at inopportune moments. Unfortunately, Murphy’s law is always applicable to babies and kids!
Note: I personally circumvent this by getting a child unit that is plugged in so it is never out of power. This is a matter of personal preference though, as the trade-off is less flexibility.
4. Night Vision (Infrared)
While an increasingly common feature, it is still important to ensure that the monitor you pick enables you to see your baby plainly even when the light in the space is dim.
5. In-Built Music
Baby monitors with some built-in music can be really convenient to soothe your kid to sleep even when mum or dad is not in the room. Again, this is an increasingly common feature, with many monitors featuring calming lullabies and white noise which calms infants quickly.
Budget Baby Essentials
Baby Monitors range widely in price, from as low as $60 to as high as several hundred! Hence, for this post, the prices will be in this range:
Budget – $80 and under
Better – $80-$180
Best – $180 and above
Budget - $80 and under
1. Babysense Baby Monitor
This Babysense Monitor has everything for a budget price!
- This budget yet powerful Babysense baby monitor maintains a secure and private connection with bubba at all times. It is a hack-free monitor to protect against hackers that may obtain footage of your baby via wifi connection.
- 2-way communication with baby
- The 2.4 inch high quality LCD screen allows you to observe your sleeping or playing infant anytime.
- The infrared Night Vision will automatically detect dim light, providing clear video even in dark rooms, so you will always know what your baby is doing.
- Pre-programmed lullabies to lull baby to sleep
- Set up feeding/medication/diaper changing alerts so you are always on task!
2. LBtech Video Baby Monitor
The Expandable Monitor!
This baby monitor is a gem! Take a look at the many things this monitor covers! I am super intrigued by the expandable camera setup 🤩🤩🤩
- Large 4.3” baby monitor screen
- Plug and play simplicity during set up
- Power Saving (Voice Activation) – Take your eyes off the screen!
- Built-in infrared night vision
- Advanced Monitoring System: Room Temperature Display, High / Low Temperature Alarm
- Two-Way Communication, allows communication easily between you and your baby
- Peer at your little one with the 2x Digital Zoom 😂
- Super range – transmission range can be up to 1000ft (in open area)
- Expandable up to 4 cameras in total! 🧐
Better - $80 - $180
1. Vava Baby Monitor
Value and Quality
One of the bestselling models of baby monitors, the advanced VAVA Child Screen baby monitor by Trekvue adopts the most recent technology, presenting an industry-leading 5″ screen coupled with a sharp 720P resolution. Keep a careful eye on your baby with the 270-degree pan and 108-degree tilt cam!
What we enjoy about the VAVA Baby Monitor is usability and functions. With voice detection even on mute, this monitor even has actually an LED indication that lights up to show sound! The VAVA Baby Monitor is also equipped with an impressive 4,500 mAh battery, which lasts for 12 hours in display screen mode and 24 hours with the display shut off.
Other reasons to buy this now!
- Crisp and clear 720P real-time images with big 5″ screen
- Voice detection and LED light indicators to know when your child is sobbing
- Long battery life with 4,500 mAh rechargeable battery
- Two-way talk enables you to speak with your child
- 270-degree pan and 108-degree tilt cam
- Easy to set up, plug and use
- Expandable to up to 4 cameras
- 2-year regional warranty
2. iBaby Smart Wifi Baby Monitor M7LK
Monitor with a Twist!
Transcending the functions of the conventional child monitor, the iBaby M7LK is chock full of the innovations for you to view your little one. The baby monitor promotes early childhood education through its substantial selection of music, lullabies, stories, and an integrated moonlight soother. With full HD 1080p resolution with Infrared night vision, 360-degree pan and 140-degree camera tilt, it still takes less than one minute to install and works with both Apple and Android devices.
A fascinating feature this baby monitor has is its in-built Memory Timeline feature, which stores all of your infant’s highlights for you to fondly recollect on as your youngster matures. Share them with other caregivers as well simply by adding more users!
iBaby Smart Wifi Baby Monitor M7LK features:
- Complete HD 1080p video resolution with Infrared night vision
- 360-degree pan and 140-degree cam tilt
- Promote early childhood education with music, lullabies, and stories
- Personal privacy mode for breastfeeding or altering your infant’s diaper
- Split-screen view to see numerous iBaby screens at the exact same time
- Add multiple users via the iOS or Android app
- Smart sensing units for sufficient temperature level, humidity, and air quality readings
Best - $180 and above
Nanit Plus Smart Baby Monitor (+optional Breathing Wear)
Splurge on this multifunctional monitor!
Let’s face it, parenting is hard work! Sometimes all you are looking towards is baby’s naptime so you can just have a short break. However, often babies fight sleep and its just so hard to figure out what to do!
On the flip side, perhaps you are desperately worried about your child’s breathing and NEED to stare at your baby to make sure she is breathing?
Enter the Nanit Plus Baby Monitor! This is the priciest of the baby monitors recommended in this post, but its additional bells and whistles may make it the perfect choice for you! Of course, it has all the basics down pat, with sound and motion alert, 2-way communication, and a baby unit that detaches from its uber cool wall mount. All the bread and butter that baby monitors need right?
However, that astronomical price for a baby monitor has to be justified somewhere! The Nanit Plus is essentially a multi-functional baby monitor, delivering the following unique features:
- 1-year subscription to Nanit Insights which allows you to set up ‘teams’ and custom coaches you on your baby’s sleep (get the optional Breathing Wear to unlock even more functionality!)
- Auto generation of baby’s sweetest moments and directly delivered to you in-app
- Incredibly clear video and audio
- Don’t be a slave to the app! The app allows you to listen while using other apps or even when your screen is turned off with background audio.
Okay, so will everyone need all these features? The simple answer is NO. I myself have gotten by with a much simpler baby monitor setup. However if the price is affordable for you, the Nanit Plus baby monitor is likely the best baby monitor money can buy!
I hope you have enjoyed this edition of Budget Baby Essentials! Please leave me a comment or drop me an email if you would like a post on a particular essential
Other Budget Baby Essentials posts: